Monday, July 25, 2011

the road to baby

just got a little bit more exciting....or boring for me...depending on how you look at it.

Let's recap - 35wk5day appointment today.  Strep B test as expected and first "exam" of the baby carrier (aka me).  Well, if only I could have captured the look on the Doc's face, and then mine as well, when he said we were 4 cm dilated. 

Um, what? 

Oh, and very effaced (didn't give a % or anything, just used the words "very soft")

Um, huh?

Now, I know that we can stay this way for a long long time in the world of labor, but the fact that I am now on what is pretty much bed rest for the rest of the week made me think that the Doc isn't expecting us to stick around 4cm for long. 

My thought process: holy crap, how can I miss work, I gave myself august 1 as the date to be ready, who will go to my meetings, how will the work get done, etc. etc. nothing about me or the baby's health, mind you.

David's thought process: holy crap, we need a baby name (2 actually), how to get his wife home asap, how is he going to train/ride this week, asking the Doc to tell me that I can't work and he means it!

The Doc's thought process: let's be positive! telling me that I won't be in labor for 25 hours when it happens considering the dilation is 40% complete, and that I won't go full term (therefore not a 10lb baby most likely!) all things that are true and I can appreciate too

So - there you have it.  This baby isn't coming now, but apparently isn't going to wait until August 24th. 

I guess I should start working on that baby book....

9 comments:

Jenny Bo said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grammy & Gramps said...

Well, babies have no respect for their parents "timeline" apparently.
This is getting exciting!

B said...

OH no, we will have to go to boobie class alone!! He/She is coming!

Leah said...

4cm?!?!? I went to the hospital at 4cm and gave birth less than 7 hours later! Yay!!! Hoping for a speedy delivery (when it's time!)

erin and keven said...

holy moly! thats crazy! so glad you are almost halfway there-pain free! that's great news as far as i am concerned. praying praying praying!

sara said...

I love the thoughts that were going through you, David's and the doctor's heads. Hilarious. I'm with Erin - you're halfway there already, crazy woman! Praying that Baby G cooks for a bit longer and that you enjoy some down time over the next several days!

Cameron Wannamaker said...

Oh my goodness! Guess Piper is ready to make his/her debut! Sending lots of love and prayers yalls way!!!

denise said...

WOW! We are thinking of you! So excited for you both. Can't wait to know if I need to make you a blue or pink card...and I better start it sooner then later. BIG HUGS

Anonymous said...

Woweeee! Looks like Baby Glenn has a mind of his/her own! I was 4cm dialated with Mac when I went into the hospital IN LABOR! Best of luck to you little mama--you and David will be incredible parents! :)