I would like to begin this post saying that I do love kids. I really do. Just ask Jack & Reagan :) I even want 4 of them. Yep, you read that right...4.
But, for some reason, the transition from condo living (where everyone was between 25-45 and pretty much kept to themselves) to suburban neighborhood living has been slightly annoying at times.
Saying that kids are everywhere is an understatement. But, let's get to today's story.
Our yard backs up to a court, so lots of other back yards. None of our immediate neighbors have fences....leaving a football/soccer/baseball field. I get home from work today and I am upstairs changing into workout clothes. I can hear the kids in the backyard and look out. Normally they are playing games or soccer (no big deal) but today they were trying to lift the grate off of the storm drain at the corner of our yard. Yes, the grate off the storm drain. Apparently I watched too much Rescue 911 because all I could picture was one of them falling in.
Now...onto the old neighbor lady part. Apparently their parents weren't out on their decks (I couldn't tell from my bedroom window) so I went downstairs, out onto the deck to see if they would notice me. They did and I said the "Did you guys drop something into the drain line?" a quick and slightly scared "No" was the response. But, they continued (the one little girl in the group too-bullies!) to try to pick up the grate cover. And then came the "You kids should not be playing with the drain, it is heavy and you could fall in. It is not safe." Yep-blank stares in response. But, they did leave it alone and go play soccer :)
Now that is it warm, it is crazy around the neighborhood-I hope I don't get the reputation of crotchety old neighbor lady :)
My poor kids don't stand a chance!! We can't get a fence fast enough!
8 years ago
1 comment:
Hi Sarah! This is Courtney (Boren) Nichols (a friend of Erin's). I check in on your blog from time to time and just love reading about your newlywed adventures. And as I just read this post I swear I was reading about my life about 6 years ago. Being a teacher at the time, I felt pretty comfortable addressing kids in general when their behavior was less-than-desirable or could cause harm. But when it comes to kids in the neighborhood, it's such a fine line! You're right, you don't want to be known as the crotchety old woman, but at the same rate you don't want kids to think they can run rampant in the neighborhood. And what got to Devon and me the most was not wanting to really grate on their nerves in fear of our house getting terrorized in retaliation!!!! Oh, the joys of homeownership. You never thought about this part of it when signing on the dotted line, did you? :) And just wait until you do have kids...then you'll start getting really protective and concerned about what's really going on with the neighbor kids. :)
Courtney
Post a Comment