His arrival story started for us on Tuesday. I had been running around like crazy at work for the last week hoping to make Tuesday my last day at work. I was getting more uncomfortable in the afternoons, knew if I didn't draw a hard line in the sand I would have a harder time leaving work and I was majorly stressed about the list of things to do at home. Not to mention that in my mind, there would be a baby by Sunday...so I need to get those things done!
Tuesday: I started thinking that I wasn't feeling that great and things felt different. I had more pressure and tightening and major heartburn making me feel almost nauseous. I called David to give the requisite heads up, called the dr. and decided to visit Labor & Delivery to be sure. We also promised our Dr. that if we felt different in any way that we would play it safe. Operation Avoid 30 Minute Delivery was in full effect! We were only in L&D triage for about an hour, only at 3-4 cm (no change since appointment the week before) and decided to head home instead of stay and walk around.
Wednesday: Home from work, but still on email and doing stuff along with my plans for the pool and a pedicure. Hadley had other plans with a bad morning, visit to the dr, diagnosed ear infection and throwing up twice. Poor kiddo.
Thursday: A great acupuncture appointment to start the morning (Hadley is with Grammy this day, no school for her!). David at acupuncture said my pulse was stronger - a sign in his "world" that labor is near. Hmmm. Then a 2:15 appointment with our Dr. Still 3-4 cm, so we decided to strip membranes. She gave us an option of doing that or breaking my water to get things going. We laugh at these options because they seem SO different to us! The baby has been super low for a long time at this point and we were 80% effaced for many weeks too. We hoped stripping membranes was all we needed. We ended with a fun evening at the park for a concert, fun with friends and dinner.
Friday: Hadley went to school so mama was on an errand mission. I am happy to report all items were found and all stops made! I felt a few contractions but nothing consistent or painful. We all went to bed early and crashed after a crazy week.
Saturday: THE day! I was up 4-5 times to use the restroom overnight, which is a lot for me. I kept wondering if this meant something. duh Sara. I got up in the 6 o'clock hour and could tell things were tight and there were a few contractions. I woke David up and decided to get ready for the day...thinking (without overreacting!) that this might be our day. I had contractions while in the shower, but again nothing I couldn't handle and continued to get ready. I kept texting Megan (neighbor, friend extraordinaire and mom to ParkerChase) about her help that morning. We decided she would come over to get Hads once we heard from the Dr. I called the Dr. around 7:45- which was after an hour or so with contractions. We never got a call back due to some pager confusion. So, Megan came over around 8:15 and we left the house around 9 and decided to just show up at the hospital. We were examined by 9:30 and were now 5-6 cm dilated. Contractions still weren't that painful or consistent, I thought, so we weren't even sure if we'd have to stay. But, by 10:30 we were in our Labor & Delivery room and hanging out. Lots of options on how to proceed but we could not make a decision. We made no decisions with Hadley's arrival so now being asked to make them was somewhat debilitating. How does one know what is best in this situation? It came down to waiting or breaking my water. We chose to wait. At around 12:45 the contractions were super painful and learned we were now at 8 cm. Our plan became to finish an IV bag of saline, receive a low dose epidural and then break my water. Shortly after 1 p.m. we started the saline on the super fast flow. Around 1:30 we were set up to get the epidural. We did a low dose one, only to learn it only took on my left side. The right side of my body being a "hot spot" they said. We waited a bit to see if it would even out, if laying with my left side propped up would help, etc. Close to 2 p.m. we were working to readjust my position thinking that we might administer some more epidural to attack the hot spot. Well - my water broke instead so it was go time! Dr. Meltzer (OB) said we were better off to just go with it and not address the right side. So, everyone around me hustled to get ready, I just sat with my eyes closed wincing through the constant pain and David geared up to get us through this. Two contractions later - HE was here!
Recovery is going really well so far - I think better than with Hadley if I can remember! Family has met the prince and we know we will have lots of friends to the house soon. Brady and I even snuck in a quick nap today after he was circumcised. This pace will not continue at home so we are taking advantage of it! Hadley was adorable meeting him last night...but a little stinker today. I can't blame her, it's all confusing and a hospital room is a weird place to hang out. And what is this baby thing doing with her mommy and daddy??? Being at home can only be better for her.
Enjoy some more photos! Our photographer came to capture Hadley and Brady's big meeting - we cannot wait to see those from her!
Before Delivery
Right after delivery
Mommy and Brady
Daddy and Brady
Mommy, Daddy and Brady
Mr. Brady Lehman
Hadley is trying to see her little brother, while hanging onto her new doctors kit.

1 comment:
Yay, details of the birth, thanks for posting so soon! So good of you :) Glad it was a bit of a more relaxed pace this time, but big time bummer about the epidural not taking on the right side, UGH!
You look so beautiful in those pictures after Brady is born. What a great name (and middle name!). Can't wait to see those pics of Hads and Brady meeting either, be they are going to be amazing. CONGRATS again guys!!!
Post a Comment