Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Words for Thought

On Sunday we went to a memorial service for Lynn Shonk. Lynn really fought a great battle against cancer and, as a speaker at her service said, while we have lost her-she did win the fight.

We know that Lynn and the entire Shonk family are very special, but the outpouring of support on Sunday was larger than we imagined. As Tracy and Sara and I were standing in line, we kept seeing people we knew, saying hi, offering kind words about Lynn and really just making small talk. We arrived at 1 p.m. and after nearly 2 hours in line, were finally able to greet the family.

But, the words for thought (spoken by Tracy, moderated by me!) were said while we were in line, to only each other, not the family. . . .
Wow-Lynn made an impact on so many people. What would my memorial service be like if I passed this week? Who would be there? How many lives have I made an impact on?

As Tracy, Sara and I stood pondering that thought-I could only think about how I can make an impact on my friends, my family, my community and people I don't even know yet. I want my friends to be involved, to volunteer, join a group, be "concerned" citizens...but that isn't an interest to very many of them. Will that come with time? Will we be organizing a group one day to pass a referendum to allow Noblesville Schools to grow and build as our community does? Will they join me in volunteering my time? Will I continue to be in Junior League or continue in a leadership position? Will I make a difference?

It really made me think about how busy I always feel, compared to the impact of our actions. I am thankful to have David, who I know will also stress volunteerism to our children one day, and teach them to give back, be concerned for their future and make an impact.

I guess our paths are still being created-and I hope I can only meet more people, touch more lives, volunteer more and make an impact. We had a motto for last year's Junior League class and I used it in some team captain emails at work...Imagine the Impact. I love that!! It really says to me, keep asking my friends to get involved, keep donating my time and services...we can only imagine the impact it will have for years to come.

I also say all of this in memory of Lynn, but on a very historic day in our lives. As we welcome a new President, we can only imagine the impact of new ideas, a new vision and the buzz surrounding it all. Regardless of the way we all voted, this is historic!

Sorry for such a heavy post, but I have been thinking about all of this since Sunday and wanted to share. Tracy, thank you for bringing that to our attentiont to think about our own lives!!

2 comments:

Adventures of Aaron and Jordan said...

very nice post! I agree, I have been looking into volunteer things here since I cant find a job, and I know I need to do something, your post encouraged me to go to the meeting on volunteering next week! Thanks

Sara and Brian said...

As always, I step back in amazement of you. Not only are you my best friend, you are an inspiration to me. Thank you for being the person you are!