Sunday, March 7, 2010

gettin' dirty

I love new challenges, and most recently have tried to make our home/lives a little "greener" small step by small step. I like to call them "small, but mighty, changes" to feel a little better about our slow progress!

we recycle (doesn't everyone now?) but more items than ever before, we don't use paper towel to spray cleaner on the counters (but still use it in other ways), we also are now eating more local and organic through Farm Fresh Delivery. We have truly been inspired by our friends to do more - and a big shout out to sara & grant who have been able to show us (and not in that annoying, pushy way! ) that small changes are easy.

So...onto the next challenge: drumroll please!

Gardening & Composting! I grew up with a garden so that isn't that much of a stretch (plus my backyard could use something! anything!) but the composting is. My friend Jenny sent me an awesome article about how to do it in a rubbermaid tub. Well, I can do that! David flat out said "no" (which is funny if you know our Farm Fresh decision making history)...but then came home and pointed out that my salad "scraps" could be composted. haha. Love him.

It actually appears quite easy and I have been guiltily (word?) throwing out scraps since we have so much more now using Farm Fresh. Oh by the way, did you know people still peel carrots? yep, don't have to get the baby ones-ha! I would have never had carrot peel to compost without Farm Fresh.
Hopefully this is what it will look like once we start:


A wise gardener told me that compost is considered "gardner's gold" and will make a huge difference in our garden. yay!
I am getting together this week to plant to some seeds with friends and can't wait to see what we can grow! Now we just have to build a box garden since our ground is pure clay and rock.
I love a challenge and hope this is easier than it sounds right now...and we can eat our beautiful bounty all summer!
yum....

3 comments:

Waldner News said...

good for you! my sis is such a smart cookie...good luck with the gardening! it's hard work but tons of fun too! unfortunately we had to move before we enjoyed the kids' favorite part - the pumpkins!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

so excited to have gorgeous gardens this year! and to see your compost!

Jenny Bo said...

Good for you. David always made fun of me and called me a Tree Hugger...but now he's hooked in green ways, too! Your compost bin looks so DIRTY - I love it!