Saturday, February 7, 2009

So, Sara, What do you do?

I have always envied those people that can answer this question with one phrase such as "I teach" or "I am an accountant." Wouldn't that be nice?

I almost want to say to someone who asks the question, "I would love to tell you! Do you have an entire afternoon to talk?" Ha! I guess the simplest way to say it is that I work on two campaigns, on a walk and one a fundraising competition with a black tie event. But, I am considering a new answer-I raise money to cure cancer. Doesn't that sound important and grand??

I think this answer would also remind me why I work in this environment, where I hear about cancer all day, where I hear about loss and struggle and where I am constantly reminded how quickly our lives can change. On top of that, I always say I do the hard work and get paid in peanuts. I guess it beats being a circus elephant. :) But, I chose this path and while it is so hard to keep the perspective of the impact we are making in our patients lives, it can make just getting through the day a victory.

I found a great collection of you tube videos that our home office created. (for those of you that have heard me talk about my job or the home office, this is not at all surprising that I had no idea that these videos exist-ha!) I thought I would share one with you all-it really does a great job of telling the world who we are, what we do and why we do it.

Enjoy!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyqRpg7X5LE

No comments: